- 1 pound spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 28 ounces whole Italian tomatoes canned
- 28 ounce crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork
- ⅓ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- ¼ cup onion finely diced
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt & black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for frying
- Cook onion in olive oil over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Reduce heat to low, add remaining sauce ingredients with 1 cup of water. Simmer covered 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all meatball ingredients (except olive oil) and form 18 meatballs.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and add meatballs. Brown on all sides until golden (they do not need to be cooked through), about 10 minutes.
- Add meatballs to sauce, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer until sauce reaches desired consistency.
- Serve over spaghetti.
Recipe courtesy of spendwithpennies.com