Yield: Approximately 8 cups
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage, sweet or hot
- 1/2 cup butter,
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and
- diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, chopped
- 4 cups cornbread croutons
- 4 cups white bread croutons
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brown sausage in an ovenproof saucepot that has a lid.
- With a slotted spoon, remove sausage from the pot and pour out the drippings.
- Add the butter to the pot and melt over medium heat.
- Add onion and celery and cook, until softened. Add apple and cook, until softened.
- Add herbs and stir.
- Return sausage to pot.
- Add croutons and chicken broth and bake stuffing in the oven at 375 degrees F for 30 to 40 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of foodnetwork.com